In 2011 the Chehalis Foundation partnered with the Chehalis School District to improve student achievement by increasing the quality of instructional practice, classroom organization, professional development and teaching effectiveness. The investment also went to W.F. West High School’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) programs. These investments have proven to be a huge success. The award winning STEM programs are quickly becoming nationally recognized as some of the very best. In a very short time, classroom improvements here in Chehalis are better than any other school district evaluated across the country by the BERC group.
For this reason, the Chehalis Foundation has recently committed to support Chehalis students over the next 5 years with an additional investment of $1.5M. The Beyond K-12 Student Achievement Initiative aims to prepare every W.F. West graduate to be career and college ready. We are partnering with the Chehalis School District, Centralia College, and our community of donors. The Chehalis Foundation is expanding the programs to include so much more for all Chehalis students.
The Chehalis Foundation will be providing the key leadership and fundraising for Beyond K-12 Student Achievement Initiative. We believe that Education is an important part of what will help the whole region thrive and succeed.
Learn more about the Ingwersen Trust.
Goal: Significantly enhance the opportunities for every Chehalis student to become college or career ready and increase the percentage of W.F. West grads going onto complete 4 year degrees from 20% to 60%.
Metrics of early successes:
- 100% of eligible (lower income) students signed up for College Bound Scholarships in 8th grade
- 8th grade students enrolled in algebra increased from 25%to 44%
- 15% average increase (from 36% to 51%) over the last 2 years in the percentage of graduates meeting high school course requirements for admission to a Washington 4-year college
- 3% increase in W.F. West grads going directly to college (55% to 63.1%)
- Jan 2016 Chehalis School District earns Career Guidance Award from Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction