For the past 15 years, the Chehalis Foundation has been committed to providing leadership and fundraising that support projects to enrich lives and make Chehalis a better place for everyone. As we reflect on this past year, we have been able to accomplish some wonderful things due to your invaluable donations and the incredible endowments gifted to the Chehalis Foundation. We are proud of what this community has accomplished, in part, due to the trust that our donors have in our stewardship.
Due to your generosity we have provided:
- College scholarships to W.F. West graduates as follows:
- West Scholarships: 50 students receiving $46,400 (renewable for 8 years)
- Coffman Scholarships: 18 students receiving $15,200 (renewable for 4 years)
- Chehalis Foundation 45 students receiving $74,500
- College campus tours throughout the state for 450 students.
- Career & college counselors at middle school, WFW and Centralia College.
- STEM Camp for 5th grade, Summer Math Camp at middle school, and STEM Academy in partnership with UW at high school.
- Maintenance support for the Shaw Aquatic Center that hosted 31,350 swimmers from Lewis County and beyond.
- A $400K gift from the Ingwersen Trust contributed to the repair of failed drainage systems at Recreation Park.
- Fundraising efforts that have already raised $100,000 for Penny Playground to replace the 25-year-old aging playground and provide state-of-the-art play toys for all. It will be the only accessible playground of this size within a 70-mile radius for kids with disabilities.
Reflecting on 2018
This year, the Chehalis community has also felt sadness and loss. As most of you know, Orin Smith died in March. Orin and his family have been major benefactors to the Chehalis Foundation, and we all owe the Smiths a great deal of gratitude. Our community would not have the Vernetta Smith Timberland Library, the Shaw Aquatic Center, or the Student Achievement Initiative if not for Orin Smith. And before he passed, he gifted an endowment to the Foundation of $10 million for continued educational program support. His vision, leadership, and dedication to his hometown will be missed by all of us.
As we begin the new year we are about to embark on “The Future of Fun!”. We will kick off a fundraising campaign for Rec Park renovations which will include the new Penny Playground, new ballfields, and more.
This season of giving, we hope you consider a gift to the Chehalis Foundation. We need your financial support to continue providing parks and recreation development, educational excellence in our schools and more civic improvements. As you have seen, your support really does help build a better future for all here in Chehalis.